Dear BBQ Friend:
Everybody loves bacon! And in my opinion there's no better way to cook bacon than to smoke it on your smoker. Frying bacon
indoors in a pan can get very messy and smelly as you all know. Smokers are a great natural alternative to cook and smoke a lot of bacon all at once with little mess because smokers are already set up to catch all that dripping
grease. If you don't want to crank up your smoker just to cook bacon, then just cook some bacon on the side while you smoke your next big cut of meat like Boston Butts or brisket.
Here's a tip that some teams use to bump their briskets up a notch or two... they cook some bacon on a rack above their brisket and let the bacon drip on the brisket to keep it moist.
Note: I wouldn't try this with any smoker setup or grill that places the meat directly over the coals or heat source as it may flame up into an inferno. Make sure your bacon drippings are caught on or in a drip
pan which is the way most smokers are setup anyway.
Here's how to make Shakin' Smoked Bacon...
1) Use thick cut bacon - 1 slab.
2) Marinate in 1 cup apple cider vinegar, 1 cup whiskey, and 1 cup maple syrup. Add any other spices you may like - for instance 1 tsp garlic powder. Marinate for 4 hours. (Tip: don't tell anybody, but this would make a fantastic injection for Boston Butts. Shhhhh - keep it a secret!)
3) Remove from marinade and place bacon on several cookie cooling racks. Do not overlap.
4) Sprinkle with your favorite rub.
5) Smoke at 300 deg for 1 hour or until golden brown. It may take an extra 15-30 minutes depending on your smoker. Remember to always check your pit temp at the grate where your meat is.
Makes a great snack for your next football game. If there's any left over, reheat in microwave and have it for breakfast!
Also... Here's a new testimonial from W. Perkins on Amazon...