Grandmother's Baked Macaroni
Author: Bill Anderson
Recipe type: Side
- 1 small box macaroni
- 1 block graded cheddar cheese (reserve some for topping) *
- You can use several different kinds of cheese if you want
- 1 cup milk (maybe more)
- 1/2 stick margarine
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- Pinch of garlic powder to taste
- To kick this recipe up a notch, add some vidalia onions or red pepper flakes.
- Cook macaroni in salted water according to directions on box. Beat eggs with a fork. Add milk, cheese, salt, pepper, margarine (chipped up), and drained macaroni. Add more milk if needed to make it soupy. When poured in pan, milk should just cover macaroni - if it does not, just add more milk and stir a bit. Sprinkle reserved cheese on top. Bake at 350 deg for 30 minutes or until cheese is melted and macaroni is set. In a 300 deg smoke about 1 hour. In a 250 deg smoker, about 1.5 hours.
- * Some of you had questions about the amount of macaroni and cheese to use. A good rule of thumb is twice as much cheese in weight as uncooked macaroni weight. I also sort of guestimate the amount of macaroni to use. I know the volume of the macaroni will about double in size after boiling, so I use that guideline to choose the right baking dish.