Here’s my favorite smoked turkey recipe…
Watch the video here:
- 2" thick rib eyes
- Coarse sea salt
- Canola oil
- Your favorite rub
- Get some well marbled steaks - choice is OK. This method will turn them into prime in no time! Get your butcher to custom cut them into 1.5" to 1.75" thick steaks. 2" is OK too. For the video, I bought a whole ribeye roast at Sam's Club and had them slice it into 2" steaks.
- Rub with canola oil and season with a generous amount of course grained salt like kosher salt or sea salt. Also apply your favorite BBQ rub.
- Stick a wire temperature probe in one of the steaks and slow smoke them at 200 deg until the internal temp of the meat reaches 115 deg.
- Remove steaks and let rest for 15-30 minutes.
- Get a very hot grill going as hot as you can get it. You'll need a lid to prevent flareups.
- Sear the steaks for 60-90 seconds on each side.
- Let rest for 15 minutes and then get prepared for the best steak of your life!
Browse other gifts from Zazzle.
This is the coolest thing since sliced brisket! A wireless meat probe that also measures your pit temp. It can be used on a rotisserie too…
Here’s the new insulated Weber kettle grill that is supposed to compete with Big Green Eggs (BGE), Kamodos, and Primos. I guess it is supposed to compete with all insulated smokers like Stumps too. At $1500 bucks, it seem a bit pricey to me, but I guess it is comparable pricewise to other similar products. At least it is not as heavy and will not crack like an egg. The auto start charcoal feature is convenient. Check the Weber home page for a dealer near you. It’s new, so it may not be available everywhere yet. You can get a really good pellet smoker with much more room for $500 less though (bbq-book.biz)…
Snake River Farms Sales!...
1) Receive 4 Northwest Beef Top Sirloin Steaks with Purchase of $149 or more ($60 value) Use Promo Code AFFQ2149 at checkout (good thru 4-30-16)
2) Receive 3 Racks Kurobuta Spare Ribs with Purchase of $249 or more ($90 value) Use Promo Code AFFQ2249 at checkout (good thru 4-30-16)
3) Receive 2 Northwest Beef Top Sirloin Steaks with purchase of $99 or more ($36 value) Use Promo Code AFFQ299 at checkout (good thru 4-30-16)
4) FREE standard shipping at Snake River Farms with code FREEAFF (good thru 2016)
- FOR THE RUB
- 4 racks Snake River Farms Kurobuta Spare Ribs (see sales links above)
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sweet paprika
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 Tbsp onion powder
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp cayenne pepper
- 1 Tbsp kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- FOR THE SAUCE
- 3 cups ketchup
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 3/4 cup distilled white vinegar
- 2 Tbsp molasses
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 Tbsp sweet paprika
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 8 Tbsp unsalted butter (melted)
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- Mix sugar, paprika, chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Brush oil on ribs on baking sheet and sprinkle with this rub. Let the ribs sit 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce: Whisk together ketchup, sugar, vinegar, molasses, Worcestershire, chili powder, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, black pepper and 3/4 cup water in a 4-quart saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Cook, stirring until thickened, for about 20 minutes. Remove from heat, measure 1 cup into a bowl and stir in 1/4 cup honey and the apple cider vinegar. Set aside. Reserve remaining sauce. Pour apple juice into a spray bottle and set aside.
- Prepare your grill using apple wood chunks or chips. Place ribs meat side up on grill grate. Maintaining a temperature of 225 degrees to 275 degrees, cook spraying with juice every 30 minutes for 3 hours. Remove ribs from grill and transfer to 2 large stacked sheets of foil. Drizzle butter, honey and sugar evenly over both sides of ribs. Position ribs meat side up and close foil around ribs. Return to grill and cook for 2 hours. Uncover ribs and discard foil. Return ribs to grill and cook, basting with sauce after 30 minutes, until the tip of a small knife slips easily in and out of the meat, about 1 hour. Serve with remaining sauce.
- Recipe originally published on Saveur.com and can be found here.
- By the way... There are tons of good recipes on the Snake River Farms website. Just click here and then on the Recipes tab.